Free State Stars General Manager, Rantsi Mokoena, and Bloemfontein Celtic CEO, Khumbulani Konco, have poured cold water on rumours suggesting their respective teams are up for sales, saying the reports intend to ‘disrupt’ their progress. The Free State outfits are finding the going tough in the league so far this season, having only picked up 18 points apiece. And while that's the case, apart from the inconsistency in their forms, which is slightly luring them near relegation zone, Stars and Celtic find themselves having to deal with growing reports that the Free State province may soon be without a representative in the top flight league.
Prior to the start of the season, Stars were almost sacrificed for Moroka Swallows in the top flight league, but the sale deal fell through after missing the PSL deadline. So, they now find themselves surrounded by the same reports again, after it was claimed to be a businessman from Klerksdorp interested in buying the club. The same goes to the Green and White side that has recently being in the spotlight for the wrong reasons. First it was the players’ salary issues, then the supporters’ vandalisation of the Dr Molemela Stadium after their 3-0 loss to Platinum and now it is the sales rumours. However, both Mokoena and Konco rubbished the reports, saying the rumours were intended to destabilise the teams.
“We believe someone is trying to make our players lose focus because something like this will affect them – it involves their future. But there’s nothing like that going on. We’re here to stay ... the selling of the club is a closed chapter,” Mokoena said. Konco said: “We don’t know where this comes from and who is spreading those malicious rumours. People are trying to destroy the club.” Both sides are in action this weekend, with Celtic away to Wits on Friday and Stars at home against Highlands Park on Sunday, at 8pm and 3:30pm respectively.